RE-think & RE-design our future! Is it possible to rethink the way we design, use, and reuse plastics to create a circular economy for plastic? Working groups should think about Piatra Neamt as a study area where their solutions and ideas could be tested locally, to be later potentially replicated or scaled-up on a regional and national scale.
High demand, production and consumption of plastics worldwide have a strong impact on climate change and environmental pollution. This is due to both the production process and disposal of plastics which often is dispersed into the environment with consequent pollution of land, rivers and oceans.
People can recycle, re-use, re-invent: let’s imagine ways to reduce plastic, reduce waste and extend the life cycle of products.
The New Plastics Economy is a vision of a circular economy for plastic, where plastic never becomes waste. It offers a root cause solution to plastic pollution with profound economic, environmental, and societal benefits:
- Eliminate the plastic we don't need.
- Innovate to ensure that the plastic we do need is reusable, recyclable, or compostable.
- Circulate all the plastic items we use to keep them in the economy and out of the environment.
Following the vision of a carbon-neutral material system by 2050, solutions should focus on the following issues:
- Design thinking of the products
- Innovative strategies, procedures and technologies for effective waste collection and disposal
- Behavior change of citizens to reduce demand
- Keep products and materials in use/ Secondary Raw Materials
- Nature based solutions
- Digital innovations & smart manufacturing solutions; new business models to dematerialize demand (the four reuse models).
Let’s to try to think of new ways to design products service and cities that were good for people planet and cities considering the next questions:
- How do people experience the circular economy?
- What are the drivers for moving to a circular economy?
- What opportunities does the circular economy bring to our cities?