Climate Innovators - Create real solutions to your city’s climate challenge, take action in your city!
How will you benefit from Climathon?
- Help solve your city’s local climate challenge, and make your city more resilient to climate change
- Network with local leaders from academia, business and public authorities
- Develop your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and explore new tools and methodologies
- Join forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs and innovators
- Become a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Application Deadline: 25th October, 2017
The NYC Urban Future Water Challenge!
New York City benefits from the prescience of early legislators who set aside significant amount of land upstate to provide large quantities of clean water through systems of reservoirs and untouched land. However, NYC still has major infrastructure challenges regarding the management of its water post consumption. The City combines its stormwater management with sewage, putting a huge strain on the 14 wastewater treatment plants across all 5 boroughs. During hours of high water consumption and as little as 1/20th an inch of rain, raw, untreated sewage is dumped into the surrounding rivers. These events are known as Combined Sewer Overflows (CSO). In addition, being completely surrounded by water, severe weather events such as Superstorm Sandy pose dangerous and expensive threats to the city and its inhabitants. As the effects of climate change become increasingly prevalent, NYC faces mounting challenges of managing the very water that defines it. For the NYC Climathon, we are seeking solutions to these challenges of water management.
1) How can we better manage stormwater in NYC to prevent CSOs?
2) How can we more efficiently and effectively operate the existing or new wastewater treatment facilities?
3) How can we make the city more resilient to extreme weather events like Superstorm Sandy?
4) Solve another water based issue that challenges NYC.