General information about the Climathon
Climathon offers you the chance to take action to create real solutions to your city’s climate challenges. You can also benefit from:
• Helping to make your city more resilient to climate change
• Networking with local leaders from academia, business, and public authorities
• Developing your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and exploring new tools and methodologies
• Joining forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs, students and developers
• Generating ideas and solutions to climate change that can become real-life businesses
• Becoming a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Climathon is a global movement dedicated to solving the toughest climate challenges cities face today, which is manifested in a 24-hour hackathon taking place simultaneously in major cities around the world.
The basic process flow of the Climathon:
1. Setting the climate challenge: Cities identify their climate challenges and call on their citizens to come up with innovative solutions.
2. Coming up with solutions: Citizens, city officials, and sponsors connect under a shared vision for a healthier city, which is manifested in a 24-hour hackathon to find innovative city solutions.
3. Beyond the hackathon: Innovation happens when diverse perspectives are brought together—creating both tangible climate solutions for cities and empowered communities. Climathon is more than a hackathon, it's a movement.
The Climathon hackathon date is the 26 October 2018. As it’s a 24-hour event it will run into another day. Check your individual city page for the exact start and end time.
- Pre-ideation workshop
- Challenge co-creation workshop
- Fireside with inspiring speaker
- Data collection for challenge
- Duration of 12-72 hours
- Tracks for specific groups (e.g. participants without ideas, start-ups, policymakers, intrapreneurs)
- Public involvement forum
- Further support programmes (e.g. coaching, incubation)
- Public voting for best solution
- Local winner selection
- Hosted by Climate-KIC
- Global audience
- Various awards to win
- Planned for Q4 2019
What you can expect to happen during the 24-hour hackathon.
1. Explore challenges and form teams
Participants will find out more about the city's climate challenge and form teams.
2. Find solutions and test them
Teams will ideate to come up with solutions and test these solutions further using different methodologies and discussing with experts.
3. Present progress and win support
Teams pitch their solutions to relevant local stakeholders, who will choose the best ideas and announce the winning teams.
Cities all around the globe are preparing their Climathon event during the summer 2018. The Climathon website will open for participant registration on 1 September and finishes on 24 October. (Some cities may differ in their recruitment period, please check their own city page on the Climathon website to have up-to-date information in September, 2018.)
These are the common participant types you fill find at your local Climathon
- Policy makers
- Other citizens interested in topic
- School students (Young Climathon)
During the event