General information about the Climathon
Climathon is a global movement dedicated to solving the toughest climate challenges cities face today, which is manifested in a 24-hour hackathon taking place simultaneously in major cities around the world.
The basic process flow of the Climathon:
1. Setting the climate challenge: Cities identify their climate challenges and call on their citizens to come up with innovative solutions.
2. Coming up with solutions: Citizens, city officials, and sponsors connect under a shared vision for a healthier city, which is manifested in a 24-hour hackathon to find innovative city solutions.
3. Beyond the hackathon: Innovation happens when diverse perspectives are brought together—creating both tangible climate solutions for cities and empowered communities. Climathon is more than a hackathon, it's a movement.
The Climathon hackathon date is the 26 October 2018. As it’s a 24-hour event it will run into another day. Check your individual city page for the exact start and end time.
Each city can decide themselves when they start the 24-hour Climathon programme. A schedule of the day will be shared with you before the event, so you will know exactly when and where to go.
• Welcome session
• Inputs on the city challenge(s)
• Team formation
• Parallel workshops
• Yoga/Other energising activity
• Final presentations to the jury
• Wrap-up and closure: winning teams announced and prizes are given
What you can expect to happen during the 24-hour hackathon.
1. Explore challenges and form teams
Participants will find out more about the city's climate challenge and form teams.
2. Find solutions and test them
Teams will ideate to come up with solutions and test these solutions further using different methodologies and discussing with experts.
3. Present progress and win support
Teams pitch their solutions to relevant local stakeholders, who will choose the best ideas and announce the winning teams.
Climathon offers you the chance to take action to create real solutions to your city’s climate challenges. You can also benefit from:
• Helping to make your city more resilient to climate change
• Networking with local leaders from academia, business, and public authorities
• Developing your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and exploring new tools and methodologies
• Joining forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs, students and developers
• Generating ideas and solutions to climate change that can become real-life businesses
• Becoming a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Cities all around the globe are preparing their Climathon event during the summer 2018. The Climathon website will open for participant registration on 1 September and finishes on 24 October. (Some cities may differ in their recruitment period, please check their own city page on the Climathon website to have up-to-date information in September, 2018.)
These are the common participant types you fill find at your local Climathon
- Policy makers
- Other citizens interested in topic
- School students (Young Climathon)
During the event
Yes, it is! It is a real climate change hackathon – where the magic happens somewhere during the 24 hours. Do not be intimated - it is possible to stay awake and work during 24 hours. Take your sleeping bag with you in case you want to go away for a little nap in a quiet room.