Climate Innovators - Create real solutions to your city’s climate challenge, take action in your city!
How will you benefit from Climathon?
- Help solve your city’s local climate challenge, and make your city more resilient to climate change
- Network with local leaders from academia, business and public authorities
- Develop your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and explore new tools and methodologies
- Join forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs and innovators
- Become a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Application Deadline: 25th October, 2017
My route to work:
Smart commuting – how to encourage sustainable transport options to and from the workplace?
Young Climathon Challenge:
My routes around town – how to make sustainable transport options the best choice for all?
With approx. 574,000 residents, the city of Essen is situated in the densely-populated Ruhr region of North-Rhine Westphalia. It is characterized by a car-oriented infrastructure which is reflected in the volume of traffic (with around 54% of trips taken by car). There is also a high percentage of in-coming and out-going commuters every day which rely on the car more than public transport. The city has set itself ambitious targets to achieve a modal split between public transport, cars, bicycles and pedestrian journeys (25% each by 2035). The Climathon Challenge is designed to support the city to reach these targets – and create a variety of benefits for commuters, as well as all residents, such as improved air quality, less noise, safer streets, healthier lifestyles, more socially-beneficial public spaces etc.
The Young Climathon will focus on new ways to encourage citizens to switch from car use to public transport, cycling and walking. Data and lessons learnt will be made available from initiatives which have already been introduced, such as the Meine Wege campaign of the European Green Capital - Essen 2017.