No, this year the whole Climathon event will be held online.
Stay tuned for updates on the programme and for presentation of the challenges.
Apply now, limited places available!
Digital Climathon 2020 Mendrisio
13 Nov 2020 - 14 Nov 2020
Time for change
A big thank you to all those who joined Digital Climathon Mendrisio! Congratulations to all the teams for the great ideas they developed.
The Jury selected the following ideas as the most promising ones:
- Atelier di trasformazione alimentare (“Food processing lab”), aimed at creating a process for the recovery of unsold and unwanted food (for example, two-headed carrots discarded by large retailers), through a restaurant/take-away, and the recycling of vegetable waste for biogas production. The team won a 5'000 CHF contribution to start implementing their idea, offered by Canton Ticino-Dipartimento del territorio;
- Impact label, aimed at developing an information label for the conscious consumer, which reports the amount of CO2 emitted in the life cycle of each product (transport, distance, type of vehicle, production process, packaging, and disposal), energy consumption and consumption of natural resources. The team won a 3'000 CHF contribution to start implementing their idea, offered by Ente Regionale per lo Sviluppo del Mendrisiotto e Basso Ceresio.
You can find all the streaming sessions on the YouTube channel of Impact Hub Ticino. Have a look at all the ideas developed by the participating teams, as they presented them during the pitching session, or at the Digital Climathon Mendrisio press release!
Facts & Figures
Uniting the world's cities
Join a global movement
Make your local idea count
Zero waste and circular economy
Come and solve this challenge in a vibrant atmosphere: join Climathon 2021 Regione Mendrisiotto!
Inspirational workshops and talks and like-minded people, as well as many other surprises, are waiting for you.
The structure of the Climathon
Il Climathon has a thematic area: “How to reduce the climate impact of our food system?”
There are 4 challenges related to the thematic area:
- Experimental food production models
- Conscious consumption patterns and habits
- From farm to fork
- Food waste
During a 24-hour online marathon the participants, divided into teams of minimum 3 and maximum 7 people, create ideas and projects meet challenges.
A project/idea can respond to only one challenge. A team can only submit one project/idea.
Deliver projects at the end of 24 hours
The teams will work independently, supported by Mentors and subject area experts, in an online collaborative environment (Slack + Airmeet). At the end of the 24 hours, each team will have to present the final papers. A representative for each team will have to deliver an online submission including:
A presentation with 6 slides
- Cover: Project title/idea and opportunity, team name
- A brief bio of the team members
- Explanation of the idea/project
- Desired impact: indication of the positive economic, social and environmental impact that the idea/project aims to achieve.
- Progress over 24 hours
- Plans for the future + next 3 steps: indications of the activities planned in the medium term plus an indication, as precise as possible, of the next three steps.
The presentation, in PDF format, is uploaded in the delivery form.
A 3-minute live pitch
Each team will have to present the idea to the judges during a live pitch on Airmeet. Getting ready to let us know:
- the team
- the opportunity that was chosen
- the idea
- the desirable impact
- the feasibility
- the progress made during the 24 hours of the Climathon
Project evaluation criteria
The jury of experts in different sectors (economy, climate, entrepreneurship, public administration, sustainability, etc ...) will evaluate all projects delivered at the end of 24 hours.
Each juror will evaluate it independently. Subsequently, a plenary session will define the list of the most promising projects.
Nine criteria are used to evaluate projects:
- FEASIBILITY. Does the idea have a certain degree of feasibility?
- INNOVATIVE SOLUTION. What is the unique and innovative value of the proposed solution?
- ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL VALUE. Would the solution, if implemented, produce social and environmental value?
- COMPATIBILITY WITH THE TICINESE CONTEXT. The team presented an idea compatible with the local context (city or canton)
- PRESENTATION AND PITCH. Was the idea explained clearly and concisely?
- TEAM / TEAM. The team expresses motivation and enthusiasm and shows interest in further developing the proposed idea.
- POTENTIAL FOR TRANSFORMATION. If successful, could the idea have a large-scale impact?
- RELEVANCE TO THE CHALLENGE. The relevance of the project/idea to the challenge.
- PROGRESS. We are interested in clearly understanding what are the evolutions of the project or idea during the hackathon, especially for pre-existing projects.
Nov 13, 2020
1:00 to 2:00 PM- Climathon 2020 Swiss National Panel discussion "Perspectives and priorities for Climate Action". A discussion involving all Swiss Climathons to present the event and join a wider community. Link to YouTube live streaming.
6:30 to 7:00 PM - Opening Ceremony. The official start for our hackathon. Opening speech by Ambassador Pio Wennubst - Permanent Mission of Switzerland to FAO/IFAD/WFP. Live streaming session on Airmeet and YouTube.
7:45 PM to 9:30 PM - Team building session. Participants who already have ideas can share them live and build a team.
Nov 14, 2020
8:00 - 9:00 - Online yoga - Wake-up and flow: Slow-Flow Vinyasa. (Zoom link)
5:30 PM - DEADLINE for submitting the final project/idea.
Win support for your idea
Teams proposing the most promising ideas will get access to financial support to accelerate their idea and/or further develop it.
This year, overall 8'000 CHF, offered by Canton Ticino-Dipartimento del Territorio and Ente Regionale per lo Sviluppo del Mendrisiotto, will be available to financially support the most promising ideas.
A jury of experts in the field will select the most promising ideas. Start thinking how you could grow your idea, with such a contribution!
The winners of Digital Climathon Mendrisio 2020
Learn from the experts
Coaches will support idea creation and development, by both providing direct support and offering targeted workshops to turn your idea into a feasible and effective solution.
Coaches at work during Climathon 2019 Mendrisio
Take a break
Wake-up and flow: Slow-Flow Vinyasa
Twenty-four hours are long! We will have a 60-minute (8:00-9:00 am) online yoga session with Calissa Anderson.
Gain concentration and restart as energetic as ever
Four challenges about the climate impact of our food system
The local organizers
Impact Hub Ticino
We are part of one of the world’s largest networks focused on building entrepreneurial communities for impact at scale - home to the innovators, the dreamers and the entrepreneurs who are creating tangible solutions to the world’s most pressing issues.
Will Digital Climathon 2020 Mendrisio also offer in-person activities?
No, this year the whole Climathon event will be held online.
Do I need to pay to join Digital Climathon 2020 Mendrisio?
No, participation is totally free. However, you need to book your ticket by registering on this website.
How and when are teams created?
We encourage people to form 3-6 people teams beforehand. However, you can also simply show up at the Digital Climathon event, since additional teams will be created just at the start of activities.
Want the global view?Climathon global
Thanks to our global partners