Climate Innovators - Create real solutions to your city’s climate challenge, take action in your city!
How will you benefit from Climathon?
- Help solve your city’s local climate challenge, and make your city more resilient to climate change
- Network with local leaders from academia, business and public authorities
- Develop your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and explore new tools and methodologies
- Join forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs and innovators
- Become a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Application Deadline: 25th October, 2017
In view of the attention given to the valorization of its green spaces, Rabat received the "Green City" label on the 40th anniversary of Earth Day in 2010. Moreover, there is a political will to transform the city into a livable sustainable one. Though, Rabat still has a lot of issues to tackle in order to be considered a city that is eco-responsible.
* The increase of the urban population has caused the city to expand considerably, therefore, daily travel distances of citizens have increased dramatically.
* We should conciliate the three cities of Rabat, Salé and Temara in order to find a sustainable solution, and adequate transport system for citizens that commute everyday.
* There is a growing use of personal cars especially in the districts of Agdal Ryad, Harhoura and souissi, which contributes to pollution and global warming.
* Absence of a multimodal system.
* The average consumption per household of energy in Rabat is of 1800 Kwh/ year, which is double the national average. And the numbers keep increasing every year.
* In Morocco, transport is the most energy-consuming sector, closely followed by the buildings' sector.
The solution is YOU
We believe that in order to build a sustainable city, the citizens should share their concerns as well as their hopes, and they should come together to think about how we can make our city great again.
Sustainability is about small changes that add up to create a huge impact. And when it comes to nature, it is everybody's duty to protect it, and to find solutions that are adequate to our community.
We don't have the luxury to postpone finding solutions for later, as no one knows when we will reach the tipping point where earth is unable to put up with our devastating lifestyle. Yet, one thing is sure, if we don't take measures now to stop destroying the planet, we will surely end up destroying ourselves, as the human being is a vulnerable creature that won't be able to put up with extreme weather conditions and climate change, and he would go instinct in no time.
So I am calling all of you, no matter your field of expertise, your age, your interests, your gender... to join us at National School of Architecture on the 27th of October in order to make the world a better place!
Let's all be development actors, instead of development consumers.
If you have any queries about the Climathon please contact: