Climate Innovators - Create real solutions to your city’s climate challenge, take action in your city!
How will you benefit from Climathon?
- Help solve your city’s local climate challenge, and make your city more resilient to climate change
- Network with local leaders from academia, business and public authorities
- Develop your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and explore new tools and methodologies
- Join forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs and innovators
- Become a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Application Deadline: 25th October, 2017
Torres Vedras Zero Waste Goal - How to Increase Recycle Waste Rate
Torres Vedras Municipality in the last years has implemented measures in order to reduce solid waste production, promote the income of recycling tax, and also the growth of household composting: raising awareness in the population, increased the amount of recycle bins for selective collection in the public space, distributing equipment for home composting and offering a recycling drop off center. However, actually more than 85% of the waste generated is still sent to landfill. In 2016, the amount of recyclable waste collection in Torres Vedras was of 32 kg per capita. The target expected to achieve in 2020 is 49 kg of recyclable waste collection per capita (Plano Estratégico para os Resíduos Sólidos Urbanos 2020).
The Municipality wants to go further and play a major role in the transition towards a green economy persevering the environment and keep obtaining the benefits it provides us by reducing the amount of materials we are extracting. For this the Municipality needs to show the citizens and the enterprises that they have to change the way they produce goods and services and consume material resources.
Our challenge covers the topics related such as:
- Waste prevention and material reuse initiatives - minimizing commercial and industrial waste linked with circular economy
- Circular Economy
- Food waste
- Behavioral changes
9:30 a.m. – Welcome note - Torres Vedras Municipality
9:45 a.m. – Climathon, a Global Initiative – Júlia Seixas
10:00 a.m. – National Framework for Waste – Rui Berkemeier
10:15 a.m. – Local Framework for Waste – Sandra Pedro/Fabíola Correia
10:30 a.m. – Work methodology for Torres Vedras Climathon
11:00 a.m. –Working groups for discussion
- Waste prevention and material reuse initiatives
- Selective waste collection and recycling
- Food waste
- Behavioural changes and Overconsumption
- Minimizing commercial and industrial waste linked with circular economy
11:15 a.m. – 1 p.m. – Discussion of proposals/measures in working groups
1 p.m.– 2 p.m. – Lunch
2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Preparation of the presentation of measures/initiatives in plenary
3:30 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Presentation of measures/Initiatives in plenary session
5 p.m. – Conclusions and closing session
JOIN US IN THIS INITIATIVE TOWARDS A ZERO WASTE TERRITORY! BE PART OF IT!
Edifício Serpa Pinto Plaza, Rua José Eduardo César n.º 6, Torres Vedras